Short answer is a standard 12.6 volt car batter is not going to kill you, under regular conditions. The voltage isn’t high enough to allow current flow through your body if you touch.
There are how things can definitely result in this battery injuring or potentially killing you.
The biggest safety risks are:
- Acid leaking from the battery. This can be prevented by ensuring the batter isn’t tipped and ensuring there is no visible damage to the case. Its always a good idea to look and see if there is any leaking.
- Dropping the battery. This could result in it causing injury if it strikes your foot.
- Battery overheating. This can be caused by internal damage or an overcharging alternator. The result is that the sulfuric acid in the battery is changed into hydrogen sulfide. The telltale signs are the smell of rotten eggs and what will look like steam, escaping the battery. This gas is toxic. Allow the battery to cool and replace it immediately. Be aware that acid will also have been released from the battery. Take precautions and be sure to use a cleaner to remove the acid residue from anywhere on the vehicle.
Fixitfor.us Answered question